Have you ever canoed with your dog? Brought him to a winery? Taken her to a restaurant? Virginia is a pet-friendly state, but a life of adventure can bring additional risks for man’s best friend.
Pet insurance can help you afford quality care for your canine, or any other animal, should illness or injury happen. Let’s take a look at the best pet insurance in Virginia.
Best Pet Insurance in Virginia:
Pet Insurance in Virginia: An Overview
Virginia sits in the middle of the country in terms of the number of pet owners. Residents not only have cats and dogs, but fish, reptiles, parrots, rodents and even exotic animals like sugar gliders and hedgehogs. There’s a pet insurance provider that works best for each of these companions.
- Number of households with pets: 85 million in the U.S.
- Amount spent on pet bills annually: $18.11 billion on vet bills in 2018
- Average cost of pet insurance annually: $540 for dogs, $300 for cats
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Pet insurance coverage is straightforward. Basic pet insurance plans don’t cover routine vet visits and vaccinations. The goal of coverage is full or partial payment for emergencies, including X-rays, surgeries and treatment for unexpected illnesses.
Here’s what you can expect a pet insurance plan to cover before additional add-ons:
- Accident only: Did your dog get hit by a car? Did your cat swallow a poisonous plant? Accident-only plans cover you in accidental situations.
- Accident and illness: Plans also cover treatment costs related to illnesses like cancer or infections. Most plans do not cover preexisting conditions.
- Embedded wellness: On top of accident and illness, embedded wellness covers dental care, flea and tick medication and other treatments for temporarily sick pets.
3 Reasons to Buy Pet Insurance in Virginia
It’s possible to list 1,000 reasons to buy pet insurance, but here are the top 3:
- You’ll save money. Whether it’s a hiking accident or an unexpected illness, vet bills for emergency situations can add up. A lot of procedures can cost anywhere from $500 to a few thousand dollars. Signing up for the right pet insurance plan can have you adventuring with your pet again in no time, wallet intact.
- Your pets will be cared for. Depending on the plan you pick, you can even save money on preventive medicine and regular vet visits. This can make it a lot easier for pet parents to give their dogs, cats, birds and lizards the proper care they need — all within budget.
- You’ll be prepared for the unexpected. Even though your pet might seem healthy now, purchasing pet insurance can ensure your furry friend is covered when something unexpected happens. Many pet insurance plans have an upper age limit, barring your senior dog from receiving the services he needs. This can be avoided by purchasing pet insurance early and keeping your pet healthy no matter his age.
The Best Pet Insurance in Virginia
Every pet insurance provider’s basic plans require you pay monthly premiums, and you’re also responsible for the deductible — the amount out-of-pocket before insurance coverage kicks in.
Beyond the basics, you must also consider which pet insurance covers your pet’s needs and stays within your budget. Is your pet a senior? Is she accident-prone? Does he have a preexisting condition? We’re here to help you find an insurance plan that makes the most sense for your companion and finances.
1. High-Quality Pet Insurance: Spot Pet Insurance
Spot Pet Insurance is the No. 1 pet insurance provider recommended by Cesar Millan, the leading expert in dog behavior. Some insurance highlights:
- Up to 90% reimbursement on eligible vet bills
- No age cap on coverage
- Plans start as low as $1 a day* — that’s less than a cup of coffee!
You can customize your coverage and can even add special Spot-On coverage. Coverage options include accidents, behavioral issues, dental disease, illnesses, preventive services and even hereditary and congenital conditions.
Spot’s claims service is easy. Just visit your vet (don’t forget to give your pet a treat on the way out!), send Spot the bill and get reimbursed.
Take 30 seconds to fetch your free quote now.
*Rates vary based on plan type, species, breed, age and location
2. Most Affordable in Virginia: PetsBest
Is your pet healthy and young?
PetsBest might be the most cost-effective option for you. Its basic plan — which covers accidents only — starts at just $9 a month.
If you have a little wiggle room in your budget, PetsBest also offers routine vet visit coverage in its wellness plan, which includes everything from dental cleanings to yearly vaccinations.
4. Best for Plan Customization: Progressive
Progressive offers some of the most customizable plans available. You can choose your deductible (from $50 to $1,000) and your reimbursement percentage (70% to 90%).
You can also choose your annual limit on accident and illness plans. Progressive offers options for paying monthly, quarterly or annually, so there are solutions for every budget.
5. Best for Senior Pets: PetFirst
Some pet insurance plans have an upper age limit. PetFirst not only doesn’t have one but has more comprehensive coverage for senior pets than most other companies. This includes the most common ailments for older dogs and cats:
- Hip dysplasia
- Periodontal disease
You can choose your vet, submit your bill and expect the claim to process within 2 weeks.
Find the Best Pet Insurance in Virginia
In Virginia, adventure beckons for you and your pet, no matter the season. Rest easy knowing your companion is covered with the right pet insurance policy. Start by comparing quotes — the perfect package is just a click away.